By our very own Kim Estes! Her other business is Savvy Parents Safe Kids!
School’s back in session! It means buying supplies and it is also time to do your back to school safety check list!
- Make sure your kids (even your 12 year old!!) knows your phone number or start practicing with younger kids.
- If you have a kid who will be walking home, start practicing the route home and identify homes and/or businesses that they can go to if they need help.
- Start asking your child who THEY would like to be on the emergency contact list at school. This is a great way to start a dialog about who they trust and feel safe with.
- Ask your child to think about who they would like to have as their “go-to” grown ups at school if they needed help.
- Discuss the pick up plan with your child in case you are unable to pick them up from school or if the plan changes.
- Go over your Super 10 Rules for Safety!
- Give your child some scripts and do some role playing on how to get out of risky or uncomfortable peer situations.
- Figure out how you want to handle sleepovers, play dates and when your child wants to go hang out at the mall with friends after school. Plan ahead and be clear about your expectations.
Download this flyer and give it to your PTA person to have Kim or Jill come and speak at YOUR school. The more parents on board, the bigger your child’s circle of safety!